I’ll be headed to New York on Wednesday to see Dal Niente play my piece for 2 players and 1 harp Beyond the Looking Glass! An absurdist tragedy of love, nonsense, and death defying stunts… But actually just kidding, it will be a good time though. Come through!
EVENT INFO HERE
I also uploaded an old Bassoon and electronics recording recently. That is up for listening fun times now:
- It’s a new year and a lot of projects coming up. I have a concert with Ursa Ensemble on February 9 where we will be premiering a new work by composer Jordan Jenkins. Check the events page for that and other upcoming performances!
- Another very exciting project is that I will be headed to Haiti in the summer to teach piano and composition among other things with Trade Winds Ensemble. An incredible group with an incredible mission, I am very excited to be part of the team this summer. More on that later as the time comes.
- Plucky Plunkers has some concerts that will happen in April. One where we will play Splice series at the Beat Kitchen and another featuring our commissioned works from the International Toy Piano festival.
- Origin Brass will be premiering my new Brass Quintet Se La Mia Morte Brami in March!
- Working on a new piece for solo Bass Trombone for trombonist Ben Zisook!
- As well as working on my first mass setting for my upcoming wedding. That will receive it’s premiere June 16, 2018 (the wedding)
FINALLY: Very excited to finally present my solo alto flute piece that I wrote for my fiancé Suzanne Gillen back in 2016! Some quick notes:
This piece was written for Suzanne Gillen, the most important person in my life. When we first talked about this project she wanted to use the voice as a core component. The importance of religion in her life is something that I wanted to express and we decided to use a Hildegard von Bingen text titled: “O Ecclesia ó de Undecim Milibus Virginibus”. This roughly translates to “The Church of 11,000 Virgins”. The text commemorates St. Ursula who was a British princess, martyred in Cologne along with 11,000 virgins. Denying an earthly marriage and choosing a heavenly one, they embarked on a spiritual journey which sadly ended in violence along the way. This piece sets out to tell that tale.
Kelley and I head out for St. Petersburg, FL tomorrow to bring in the New Year. We will be participating in the International Toy Piano festival as one of the resident ensembles. We will put on a few concerts and premiere some of the pieces for our next show: Chicago Down Under. Follow us on Instagram and fb for no updates whatsoever, but eventually something to happen that will be ONLY AWESOME.
Ursa has a big concert coming up on January 19th with Noise Bias that will be a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood! Very excited to be performing an all female composer concert filled with music from the medieval period to current. Check the events page for more!
Event updates have happened! Got a few things coming up starting with Musicians Who Brunch VI in December! Then in early January Plucky Plunkers makes its way to Florida for the International Toy Piano festival to take part in a residency with three other ensembles! When we come back Ursa Ensemble will put on a benefit concert for Planned Parenthood on January 19!
New Music will be up as well as I recently got my solo alto flute piece Pathway –> written for Suzanne Gillen recorded this past week! Very excited to show it soon.
I have two premieres this weekend!!
- Lake Effect Clarinet Quartet premieres my clarinet quartet Waiting for the Bus in the Rain Headed to Nowhere (And Family Trip) at the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church at 7 pm!
- Kayleigh Butcher and Christopher Narloch at Constellation at 8:30 perform the Schoenberg Hanging Gardens song cycle along with the works of 15 other composers! (myself included =D)
This will be a fun weekend, so recommend checking these concerts out.
The recordings for Rocking Chair volume 3 are up now =)
New stuff up on my works page and events updated!
Here is a video of Kelley and I improvising to celebrate:
Plucky Plunkers has been selected to do a residency at the International Toy Piano Festival in January of next year in the Tampa Bay area of Florida! Super excited to present a program that we’ve decided to title “Chicago Down Under” where we will feature Chicago based composers in a very eclectic program of toy piano duo music.
This Saturday! –> 9/16/17 2 p.m. at Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church
Rocking Chair Series IV will happen again with even more crazy music. Featuring the works of Kelley Sheehan, Luis Fernando Amaya, Jesse Diener-Bennett, Elliott Lupp, Olivier Loubieres, and Nicolas Gutierrez. I dive into the minds of these composers as we try to learn why they write the way they write and how they find inspiration and life through it. Part of the Ravenswood Art Walk, it will be an insightful afternoon for all!
This Sunday! –> 9/17/17 2 p.m. at Ravenswood Fellowship United Methodist Church
Ursa Ensemble hits the stage to present a program of a new work by Jeff Kowalkowski and Messiaen’s epic Quartet for the End of Time. Students $7 and Adults $14, we will also have an art auction featuring art from the past of our previous concerts!
I will be headed to Avaloch Farms Music Institute next week with Lake Effect Quartet to work on a newly commissioned clarinet quartet for the group, as well as preparing for my next solo recital on September 16! I just updated my events page and am going to put up some new things soon!
THE BIG NEWS IS MY CIVIC ORCHESTRA COMPOSER PROJECT PIECE IS UP NOW: